Pages

April 26, 2010

1 Yard of Heather Bailey :)

Hi again, hope everyone has been well. I feel happier today because at long last hubby is back! He was actually on work in Amsterdam (hmmm?) which was originally planned for 3 weeks ended up being 6! The last week was due to the ash cloud. He actually had to take a bus ride over 2 days to reach Rome and fly home from there! So here I was running around going a bit beserk with the kids. To relieve the stress I actually managed to get a few stitching things done, but with my usual professional photographer gone, could not take any pictures, sigh.

Ok ok, back to the topic on hand, 1yard of Heather Bailey. I kept thinking how unfair it was that my girl gets designer fabrics and I dont! So I attempted to make a skirt for myself. 1 yard in length however was way too short, so I added a bias hem of 3.5 in. I wanted a bit of interest to the skirt so added an inverted pleat in the middle and the matched band, part elasticated. Then I discovered in terms of width, I still had roughly 10in x 1yd in length. That was when I decided to try out the multi panel skirt from Sew Beautiful Issue 129 2010. I had more fun doing up this dress for Shasha than my skirt! So here they are , from 1 yard of Nicey Jane, Dream Dot in Clementine. I do particularly love the green check cotton, perfect shade. I actually did go around walking in KLCC with this skirt and Shasha in that dress and man, most people were doing a double take, even the shopkeepers! They must be wondering which shop I got it from, quite fun actually :)


Hmmm yes, I'm sure you're all wondering if thats me and how come Shasha looks different! I decided that these legs of mine were just too sexy for that cute skirt! So I ended giving it away as a bday gift to my neighbour's 15 yr old daughter, Nadhira. It suits her much better I must say. And so I got the 8 year old Fina to pose in Shasha's dress . Let me tell you, Shasha was right there at the edge keeping a close eye on her dress!

I love this pattern, so simple but so many possibilities. The panels are 2in wide at the top and flairs out at the bottom, so thats how you achieve the fitted structured top. I wanted an easy dress so I added the green tube and straps that button in front. I added elastic under the arms so the bodice fitted snugly. I hate how dresses can gape and you can see right down them! Hem is finished with matching bias piping. The pattern is easy to adapt to any size, even adult ones i guess. This is one issue which is a keepsake, go and get it if you haven't , a lot of other fantastic ideas there too. I made matching pants too :)

Check out Sew Beautiful site and their blog . The latest issue , Blue, is out and I just got mine from Kinokuniya last night, beautiful. Bye for now and happy stitching.
ps. I still don't own a designer item, sob!
pps Hoping to get the new Canon IXUS210!





6 comments:

  1. Kak....I'm speechless...GORGEOUS okeh...that dress, omg so, so pretty! I never sew anything from Sew Beautiful coz many involve smocking, which I don't do yet. But that dress looks real cantik! Huhu kena buat nih...

    ReplyDelete
  2. cantiknyaaa!!!!!!!
    definitely will try to make the dress...
    mesti nak buat jugak!

    tq for the inspiration..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe thanks girls, imagine using gorgeous designer fabrics and maybe some piping / trims in the seams! U can even make a round neckline like an A dress for the top, unlimitless, can't wait to see what u talented girls come up with

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, may I know where did u get the designer fabrics in malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi 'Z' , I get most of my designer stash from here http://www.crazyartzone.com/, she has lots of fabrics on hand and pricing the most reasonable. Am sure you'll get hooked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, your neighbourhood nadhirah rashid tu comel la;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails