Pages

March 31, 2011

Fresh Blueberry Cream Muffins !

Before there was designer fabrics there was my trusted hand held Kenwood mixer. Yup, I bake. I bake when I'm stressed out, I bake when I see a beautiful dessert but does not taste as good as it looks and I bake when I don't feel like dishing out exorbitant amounts of dollars for a vanilla cupcake ! But in general I guess I bake because I love the creating process and being able to eat it too :)

I thought its high time I contributed to the www by giving my recipe for this simple indulgent, foolproof, 10min flat, healthy muffin .

ok get these things ready
2 cups / 250 g self raising flour
1 tsp soda bicarb
1/2 cup / 125 g fine caster sugar ( quite low as its going to be distributed among 12)
( mix the above in a big bowl)

In a large measuring jug put in
100ml yogurt ( strawberry wud be yummy / or plain would do)
100ml milk
a dash of cream if u have it, if not doesn't matter
50 g melted butter / 50ml odourless oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1large egg
(whisk with a hand ballon whisk till all mixed nicely)

a packet of fresh blueberries

Now, make a well in the middle of the flour/sugar mix and dump in the liquid mixture and blueberries and using the ballon whisk just mix till its still slightly lumpy, too smooth a batter will make the muffins tough. Just spoon into 12 large muffin tins / cases ( or 24 mini muffins) and bake in the centre for 23 / 25 minutes at 180C till beautifully golden and the blueberries are just oooozing! Try to let them cool in the tin for 5 min before taking them out. Voila, enjoy them warm.

For presentation purposes dust some icing sugar.

Here are some baking tips:
1. Use 1tsp baking powder for every 1cup / 125g plain flour if you don't have self raising
2. soda bicarb only works if you have an acidic agent ie. yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, coco. Omit if you dont have those items. Just add an extra 1/2 tsp baking powder for the rise.
3. Better to have all your ingredients at room temperature so volume can double easily and end result is lighter. These muffins however are very forgiving !
4. Cut up strawberrys to make starwberry muffins, good way to get the kids to eat these great fruits :)
5. Get a set of plastic measuring cups and spoons, so much easier than weighing everything.
6. Invest in a non stick 12 cup large muffin pan, worth the sweat :)


These are quick awesome snacks and saves you those dollars! Your kids will definitely be asking for more. Don't blame me though when they keep expecting it everyday LOL.


Shasha and Danny with Yela enjoying the spring while gobbling their muffins :)

Enjoy the weekend everyone and bake some muffins :) To my long time buddy Sri, here it is finally ! I know I know hahaha ! Better late than never eh.

2 comments:

  1. Those muffins look absolutely delightful. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog starting tomorrow and I'd like to invite you to stop by then and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, thank you, would be delighted to do so :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails